Dr. Kiran C. Patel High School is a public-charter school that offers learners a curriculum based on developing 21st century skills to enhance their understanding of the community and world beyond. Learners will demonstrate their knowledge and skills in a variety of ways, while fulfilling requirements needed for graduation.
The Director of Student Guidance will visit classes to provide information on selecting appropriate courses to fulfill graduation requirements and explain how to monitor their academic progression.
Learner Skills for Success
PHS learners are actively developing their skills in the following areas:
- Time management – the ability to manage time wisely using appropriate tools in order to accomplish all necessary and important tasks each day, week, month and year of their life. This skill involves the ability to prioritize and ask for help, when needed.
- Study Skills – techniques used to learn and understand new material. This would also include better understanding themselves and how they learn best. Learning new material may be challenging, but when utilizing a few simple techniques and continued practice, learners are able to master concepts and skills.
- Test-taking Strategies – these are learned strategies to understand test questions, identify key words and phrases to eliminate certain responses, work thru test problems in a timely manner, and manage test anxiety.
These are some helpful websites that focus on each of the above areas:
Learners at Dr. Patel High School are strongly encouraged to do at least 100 hours of community service. Service in the community is important because they are excellent opportunities to learn and develop new skills, meet new people, and give back to society in a positive way. There are many different agencies that welcome young people to be actively involved. The additional benefit of completing 100 or more hours of community service is that it is one of the qualifying factors for the Florida Bright Futures Scholarship.
Learners that desire to do community service should do the following:
- Print out or pick up (from the front office) the Community Service Proposal form
- Fill out the form, then return it to the front office for Ms. Incaprera.
- Ms. Incaprera will review the proposal and if acceptable, sign off on the proposal, make a copy, and then return the copy to the learner for his/her records.
- Print out or pick up (from the front office ) the Community Service Log
- Take the Community Service log to the site at the time of service and fill it out, making sure that the supervisor of the activities signs the form verifying service time.
- Return the completed Community Service log to the front office at PHS for Ms. Incaprera. She will then verify it, make a copy, and then return the copy to the learner for his/her records.
- Use this link to locate approved places for community service opportunities: Community Service – List of Approved Service Sites